Who is Rachael Ray?
Rachael Ray is a very influential icon in the food industry. Her life revolves around the world of food, even during her childhood. She acquired her skills from both sides of her family. Her talent is so innate that she made herself very much successful by being a television host, celebrity chef, author, and entrepreneur .[1, 2]
The following makes up the name Rachael Ray:
- Rachael Ray TV Show
- Rachael on Food Network
- Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine
- 30-Minute Meals
- Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels
- $40 a Day
- Rachael Ray Store
- Nutrish for Pets
- Yum-O! Charity
Picture 1: Rachael Ray
Image Source: forbes.com
How did Rachael Ray Lose Weight?
In 2009, Rachael found out she had a benign cyst in one of her vocal cords. She had a throat surgery but the downside is that she could not speak for two and a half weeks. Talking is a very large part of her job so obviously, she has to rest. She got bored and got fond of jogging.
Together with her husband, John Cusimano, they go to the gym six days a week to run a three-mile treadmill and get to the elliptical trainer and Nautilus machines. In her entire life, she never thought she would one of those gym addicts. Anyway, the result is decreased two jeans sizes [3, 4]!
Mediterranean diet (extra-virgin olive oil, vegetables, salads) is what keeps her healthily sexy. But she does not deprive herself of foods that she is craving for. So she creates improvised recipes that contain less fat than the usual stuff that is being served to us elsewhere.
Her life is all about food. Her whole family is religiously fond of foods! She has never ever seen food as some kind of a guilty pleasure. She loves cooking and eating. And this did not make her look overweight on television. It is because what she eats and what she does is natural, healthy, and appropriate for her body .
Flat Belly Diet
Picture 2: Flat Belly Diet by Rachael Ray
Image Source: en.wikipedia.org
As fat accumulates in your belly, cortisol and epinephrine rises and these two stress hormones resist insulin. Insulin serves as the key for glucose to get inside your cells for energy use.
Since the stress hormones cause your cells to fight off insulin, your body thinks that your cells are hungry because they are not getting glucose. As a result, you get hungry. You eat too much and then your insulin gets to a high level. Excess insulin converts excess glucose into fat. The cycle repeats itself .
Picture 3: Sassy Water
Image Source: northcarolinacharm.com
To start off, flat belly diet consists of daily consumption of “Sassy Water” named after Cynthia Sass, the nutrition director of Prevention magazine. Sassy water contains ginger, cucumber, spices, herbs, and citrus that is known to facilitate digestion and increase energy.
The jump start period includes a 1,200 to 1,400 calories diet plan. This will be continued by a 400-calorie diet plan. But instead of being pressured by the weighing scale, followers of flat belly diet are given a menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Nutritional information is also listed in the guide.
Aside from the diet plan, a 28-day exercise plan is also plotted and diagrammed.
American Diabetes Association as approved monounsaturated fats (MUFA) such as extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) to decrease insulin levels. Additionally, they decrease bad cholesterol. Having a regular flat belly diet eventually leads to a satisfying result .
30-Minute Get Real Meals
Picture 4: Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Get Real Meals
Image Source: barnesandnoble.com
Moderation is the key. This is what Rachael Ray has pointed out all throughout this book. She is not a fan of the extremes. It is not advisable to make your life miserable by abstinence on carbs. So instead of a carb-free diet, she made a book of low-carb recipes. This book contains recipes that are easy to prepare and allow you to satisfy your cravings in a healthy way .
Raspberry ketones stimulate the release of adinopectins which improve metabolism of fat and thereby decreases its storage. Adenopectin also increases cell sensitivity to insulin thus, more insulin will be used up and eventually, this may result to weight loss. To back this up, research says low weight people have more adenopectins than overweight people.
However, while raspberry ketone shows promising results on mice as experimental subjects, it is not yet completely approved that it perfectly works as a weight loss pill for humans .
Garcinia Cambogia as a diet pill is claimed to have the power lose weight without diet or exercise. When Rachael heard of this magic pill featured in Dr. Oz, she was skeptical until she tried it herself. She was amazed by the result because not only did she lose weight. She was sleeping better and her energy level was so much higher.
It was reported that Garcinia Cambogia burns your belly fat in just 28 days. A pill a day worked for Rachael. She lost 2 dress sizes in 3 weeks and 4 dress sizes in 4 weeks.
But how does Garcinia Cambogia work? Its mechanism lies on the fact that it decreases the release of glucose or sugar into the bloodstream. Glucose is converted to fat if not immediately used by the body. Our body gets its adenosine triphosphate (ATP) or energy primarily from glucose. So it is the first substance that is used up when we move. Since there is less glucose in the bloodstream, less fat will be formed .
Acai berry was thought to be endorsed by Rachael Ray and Oprah. But it turns out they dissociated themselves with such claims. Acai berry was once mentioned by a guest in one of Rachael Ray’s television show but it does not mean that she is endorsing it to the public.
Marketers claim that acai berry is an antioxidant that promises weight loss, cures cancer, prevents baldness, and cleanses the colon. Such claims are overrated. In fact, all berries like strawberries and blueberries have antioxidant properties.
Marketing style includes offering a free trial to consumers. A lot of fraudulent complaints were reported all over the world concerning this. Being native to Brazil, acai berry is not known to everybody until marketers all over the world took interest on it because one bottle is worth $40. It became popular because of its promise on weight loss.
Some overweight people are desperate. They will do everything, even spend money on scams like this, just to be slim. But beware. You may be wasting your money on something that is not even scientifically proven. There are a lot of healthy ways to lose weight. Stick to them .
Rachael Ray : Diet Tips and Secrets
Like any other diet plans, diet tips are more like a common sense. But people just have to reminded oftentimes.
Do not go through extremes just to make yourself look good. You should enjoy life to the fullest and that would not be possible if you are depriving yourself of food. Every person is beautiful in his/her own way. You just have to work it!
- Eat healthy.
- Have a meal at regular times.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It should consist of proteins and carbohydrates.
- Don’t skip meals just to lose weight. Don’t get yourself starved.
- Eat moderately.
- Do not eat if you are hungry.
- Say no to fast foods and sodas.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables.
- Include monounsaturated fats (MUFA) and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) as ingredients.
- Do not sign in for a crash diet. It never helps. It may actually give you a worse problem.
- Sedentary lifestyle is a no-no. Get off your couch and exercise everyday.
- Learn from your mistakes. Improvise the ways that do not work for you [12, 13].
Rachael Ray Recipes
Picture 5: Seafood Sample: Hot and Cold Gazpacho with Grilled Shrimp and Crushed Tortilla Chips
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4120
Picture 6: White Meat Sample: Grilled Pork Chops with Scallions, Garlic, and Herbs
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=5492
Picture 7: Red Meat Sample: Spice Rubbed Hanger Steak
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4929
Picture 8: Burger Sample: Tex-Mex Bacon Cheeseburgers with Chipotle Ketchup
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=5314
Picture 9: Vegetable Sample: Everything Grilled Salad with Tuscan-Style Steak
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3476
Picture 10: Sides Sample: Watermelon Salsa
Recipe Link: http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=5511
Awards and Honors
- She won the People’s Choice Award for Favorite TV Chef in 2011.
- In 2009, she was the world’s 79th most powerful celebrity.
- She won 3 Daytime Emmy Awards for Best Outstanding Show Host in the years 2006, 2008, and 2009.
- In 2006, she was one of Time magazine’s 100 influential people.
- In 2004, she was ranked #92 on FHM-US’s 100 sexiest women and #71 in 2006 .
- Hamm L, Rachael Ray How I Lost Two Jeans Sizes accessed on http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20314202,00.html
- Rachael Ray reveals cancer scare: Her weight-loss diet and workout secrets accessed on http://www.examiner.com/article/rachael-ray-slims-down-my-diet-and-workout-secrets
- Celebrity Eats: RACHAEL RAY – A Healthy Approach to Weight Loss accessed on http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwfitness/article/Celebrity-Eats-RACHAEL-RAY-A-Healthy-Approach-to-Weight-Loss-20130915#.U6ehsfmSxRI
- The Flat Belly Diet: As Seen on Rachael Ray accessed on http://www.fitwatch.com/nutrition/the-flat-belly-diet-as-seen-on-rachael-ray-477.html
- Ray R, Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Get Real Meals, Random House LLC 2010
- Raspberry Ketone: Dr. Oz Touts ‘Miracle’ Weight Loss Supplement, But Is It Real? accessed on http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/raspberry-ketone-dr-oz_n_1388258.html
- Today’s Diet Tip: How Rachael Dropped 4 Dress Sizes accessed on http://www.thehealthscoop.net/
- Young S & Park M, Group challenges acai berry weight-loss claims accessed on http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/23/acai.berries.scam/index.html?_s=PM%253AHEALTH
- Rachael Ray Diet accessed in http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/Rachael_Ray_Diet/
- Rachel Ray Diet accessed in http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Rachel_Ray_Diet